ST. MARY'S CITY, MD – The York College men's soccer squad had their unbeaten streak snapped as they fell 3-0 against the St. Mary's (Md.) Seahawks in a road conference tilt on a windy Wednesday afternoon.
Final Score: York 0 – SMC 3
Records: York 9-4-2, (2-1-2), SMC 10-2-3, (3-1-1)
Shots: York 18, SMC 16
Shots on Goal: York 6, SMC 9
Corner Kicks: York 5, SMC 6
Saves: York 6, SMC 6
How It Happened:
• The Seahawks got on the board early in the 5th minute when Roshawn Panton was on the receiving end of a Khalid Balogun assist and able to place the ball in the back of the net to give St. Mary's the 1-0 advantage.
• Although the Spartans were able to generate some offensive opportunities including eight total first half shots, they were unable to find the equalizer for the remainder of the half and the score was still 1-0 at the break in favor of the Seahawks.
• It only took the Seahawks 35 seconds into the second half to add an insurance goal as Josh McRobie was able to beat the Spartan keeper to put York in a 2-0 hole early in the second period.
• The Seahawks struck again in the 50th minute when Brad Moore found the back of the net off a Josh McRobie pass to give St. Mary's a 3-0 lead with 40 minutes left in regulation.
• The Spartans could not find the cracks in the Seahawk defense and were unable to tally a goal as they fell 3-0.
Zion Friday: 1 shot on goal, 6 shots
Brook Addisu: 2 shots on goal, 4 shots
Barak Amige: 1 shot on goal, 2 shots
Josh McRobie: 1 goal, 1 assist, 3 shots on goal, 4 shots
Brad Moore: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 1 shot
Roshawn Panton: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 2 shots
Khalid Balogun: 1 assist, 2 shots on goal, 5 shots
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 90 minutes played, 3 goals against, 5 saves (Loss, 8-4-2)
Patrick Paolini (SMC): 90 minutes played, 0 goals against, 6 saves (Win, 8-2-2)
York is 30-6-1 all-time against the Seahawks … the loss snapped a seven-game unbeaten streak for the Spartans … this was the first time York had been shutout since a 1-0 loss to #2 Messiah on September 20 … all four losses have come via the shutout for York this season … sophomore Zion Friday has a season-high six shots in the loss … the Spartan offense has now had double-digit shots in 13 of 15 matches this season … York is now 7-2-1 on the road this season.
The Spartans return home for another CAC matchup when they take on Frostburg State on Saturday. Kick off slated for 3:30 pm at Graham Field.