YORK, PA – The York College men's soccer team scored early and often en route to an 8-0 victory over Southern Virginia University on Saturday at Graham Field in Capital Athletic Conference play. On Senior Day, seniors Joel Teston, Chris Hobbs and Ben Mochan combined for four goals and an assist in a major bounce back from Wednesday's loss.
Records: York 6-8-2 (4-3-1 CAC), SVU 4-13 (1-7 CAC)
Shots: York 25, SVU 5
Shots on goal: York 15, SVU 4
Corner kicks: York 7, SVU 1
Saves: York 4, SVU 7
Fouls: York 11, SVU 16
How It Happened
• Before the game, the seniors were honored for their accomplishments through their four years, but it was the freshmen who shined in the first minute.
• Just 20 seconds into the game, York had its first goal. Ben Mochan, a senior, from his center back spot, played freshman Zion Friday in the hole. Friday turned and fed a ball through the center back and left back to find a sprinting Danny Morgan, a fellow freshman. Morgan continued tearing goal-ward and banged one past the goalie to the far post.
• It didn't take long for York to score a second. In the ninth minute, Keith Witherell whipped in a corner to Friday's head. His header bulged the back of the onion bag, pushing the lead to 2-0.
• Friday had his large paws all over the third goal as well, finding Chris Hobbs, another senior, who blasted one into the bottom left corner from 25 yards out. It was a magical start for the Green and White, eager to put the loss at Wesley on Wednesday behind them. After just 14 minutes, it was 3-0.
• York wasn't done yet, though. Nathan Bilbie played Joel Teston in, and the senior chipped it over the goalie for the fourth goal of the half. Teston was played in behind by Pat Harkanson about 11 minutes later, and again chipped the goalie, this time from closer to 35 yards out.
• The Spartans led 5-0 at the halftime break.
• It was more of the same in the second half. Mochan sprang Teston loose on a long ball, and Teston calmly finished off his hat trick in the 54th minute. The senior combination capped a tremendous performance from the three seniors.
• The all-around performance ended in an 8-0 win for York. They out shot the Knights 25-5.
Joel Teston: 3 goals, 3 shots on goal
Zion Friday: 1 goal, 2 assists, 2 shots on goal
Chris Hobbs: 1 goal
Danny Morgan: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Joey Faddoul: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Michael Pearson: 1 goal, 2 shots
Keith Witherell: 1 assist
Nathan Bilbie: 1 assist
Aiden Wisley: 1 assist, 2 shots
Pat Harkanson: 1 assist
Ben Mochan: 1 assist
Samuel Puffenberger: 1 shot on goal
Nathan Allen: 1 shot on goal
Ima Massaquoi: 1 shot on goal
Matthew Jones: 1 shot on goal
Billy Bridegum (York): 45 minutes played, 0 goals against, 1 save (W, 5-6-2)
Devin Weiner (York): 45 minutes played, 0 goals against, 3 saves
Colin Flynn (SVU): 90 minutes played, 8 goals against, 7 saves (L, 4-12)
The Spartans are now 5-0 all-time against Southern Virginia University … eight goals are the most scored on the season … the record is 11 against Galludet in 2007 … Joel Teston earned his second career hat trick, also notching one against SVU in 2015 … Zion Friday and Chris Hobbs each notched goals … they both have six on the season, tied for the team-best … senior Ben Mochan tallied his second career point on Senior Day … Michael Pearson scored his first career goal … six different Spartans scored, a new season-high.
York returns to action on Wednesday when they host St. Mary's (Md.) in the regular season finale. The Spartans are 29-5-1 all-time against the Seahawks, and won the last meeting between the two. Kick off is set for 7:00 p.m.