YORK, PA – The York College men's soccer team dropped a 2-0 decision to Capital Athletic Conference leader, Mary Washington Eagles, in an aggressive conference match on Saturday afternoon at home. Today's game marks the fifth time the Spartans have been shutout in a contest, the fourth time at home.
Records: York 4-7-1 (2-2 CAC), UMW 9-2-1 (4-0 CAC)
Shots: York 8, UMW 14
Shots on Goal: York 5, UMW 5
Corner Kicks: York 3, UMW 8
Saves: York 3, UMW 5
Fouls: York 9, UMW 17
How It Happened:
•Offensively dominating the game early on, UMW was held scoreless in the first half by a strong showing of Spartan defense. York goalie, Billy Bridegum had two saves in the first as the Eagles pressured him in goal, firing off 8 shots in the opening stanza.
• Despite back and forth action and increasing tensions between teams and officials alike, evidenced by a cumulative 17 fouls between competitors including 11 on the visiting Eagles, both teams entered the locker room at halftime tied at 0-0.
• Catching the Spartans on their heels to start the second half, Eagle Justin Carey netted his fourth goal of the season off of a ball that was crossed from the left side of the field and headed just inside of the right goalpost. The goal occurred just 1:38 into the second half. Ryan Van Maanen earned the assist on the crossing pass.
• Play continued as UMW's offensive pressure persisted, booting several shots high above the goal. The Spartans' chances were further limited as frustration became evident on the field of play.
• With 26:54 remaining in the second half, UMW's Idrissa Barrie took advantage of a Spartan turnover inside the box to convert with a one-timer beating diving Bridegum to increase the Eagles' lead, 2-0.
• The Spartans were unable to capitalize on offensive opportunities as the game would conclude, York falling 2-0 to the Eagles.
Brook Addisu: 1 shot on goal
Zion Friday: 1 shot on goal
Pat Harkanson: 1 shot on goal
Daniel Juresic: 1 shot on goal
Joel Teston: 1 shot on goal
Justin Carey: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal, 7 shots
Idrissa Barrie: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal
Ryan Van Maanen: 2 shots, 1 assist
Tommy Mead: 1 shot on goal
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 2 goals against, 3 saves (Loss, 3-6-1)
Matt Spencer (UMW): 90:00 minutes played, 0 goals against, 5 saves (Win, 9-2-1)
York is now 15-19-2 all time against Mary Washington as they have fallen in the last three contests with the Eagles … Spartan goalie Billy Bridegum fended off three shots on goal for the Spartans for the fourth time this season… with today's loss, York snaps a two game win streak that began with a win against CAC opponent, Marymount University on September 30.
The Spartan squad will face Frostburg State University under the lights Wednesday night in their fifth conference matchup of the season. The Bobcats currently sit sixth in the CAC with a conference record of 1-2 and an overall record of 3-7-2 overall. Game time is set for 7:00 at Graham Field.
Written by Hayley McCormick – Athletic Communications Practicum Student