ARLINGTON, VA – The York College men's soccer squad tallied a season-high six goals as the Spartans downed Marymount University 6-1 in Capital Athletic Conference play on Saturday afternoon in Arlington, Virginia.
The win snaps a six game losing skid for the Spartans and evens their conference record at 1-1.
Records: York 3-6-1 (1-1 CAC), Marymount 2-9 (0-2 CAC)
Shots: York 17, Marymount 3
Shots on Goal: York 13, Marymount 1
Corner Kicks: York 3, Marymount 1
Saves: York 0, Marymount 7
Fouls: York 14, Marymount 12
How It Happened
• The Saints tied the game in the 33rd minute as Sebastian Hendi collected a deflected ball and knocked it into the net, knotting the game at one.
• The score was tied at the half despite York outshooting the Saints 7-2 in the opening 45 minutes of play.
• The Green and White came out of the break quickly as Brook Addisu collected a nice cross from Oscar Rodriguez and banged it into the back of the net for the 2-1 Spartan lead just 2:11 into the second half.
• York pushed the lead to 3-1 in the 54th minute when defender Tony Mosqueira boomed a free kick across the box to the head of freshman Daniel Juresic who finished off the chance for the Spartan goal.
• Seven minutes later, sophomore Jordan Evans ripped a shot into the Saint net, just past the outstretched hands of Saints' goalie John Valcicak for the 4-1 Spartan lead. The goal is Evans' second of the year and second in three games.
• Freshman John Weeast pushed the Spartan lead to 5-1 in the 75th minute as he recorded his first career goal.
• Sophomore Joey Faddoul closed out the scoring with an unassisted goal in the 81st minute, increasing the Spartan lead to 6-1.
• The Spartans dominated the second half as they outshot the Saints 10-1 with nine of their ten shots coming on target.
Zion Friday: 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Brook Addisu: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Daniel Juresic: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Jordan Evans: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Joey Faddoul: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal
John Weeast: 1 goal 2 shots on goal
Chris Hobbs: 1 assist
Oscar Rodriguez: 1 assist
Tony Mosqueira: 1 assist
Sebastian Hendi: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Mynor Danilo Lopez: 1 assist
Ridwaan Robinson: 1 shot
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 75:09 minutes played, 1 goal against, 0 saves (Win, 3-5-1)
Devin Weiner (YCP): 14:51 minutes played, 0 goals against, 0 saves
John Valcicak (MU): 90:00 minutes played, 6 goals against, 7 saves (Loss, 2-9)
The Spartans have now won six straight against the Saints as they lead the all-time series 25-2-3 … it will be the final regular season meeting as conference opponents for the two schools as Marymount is leaving the CAC for a yet unnamed conference in 2018-19 … the six goals are a season-high for the Spartans, one better than their five goal outburst against Catholic on September 3 … sophomore Joey Faddoul notched his first career goal in the win … freshmen Daniel Juresic and John Weeast also notched their first career goals in the win … freshman Zion Friday now leads York in points (11), goals (4) and assists (3) … the Spartans handed out a season-high three assists in the win … the Spartans' 17 shots were their second-highest total of the year … for the first time this year, the Spartans did not record a save.
The Spartans conclude their three game road trip with a trek to Middletown to face the Penn State Harrisburg Lions on Wednesday afternoon. Kick off is set for 3:00 pm in Middletown.