YORK, PA – The York College men's soccer team fought hard and put together a solid performance but the tenth ranked Messiah College Falcons bested the Spartans 1-0 in non-conference play on Wednesday evening in York.
The Spartans have dropped back-to-back one goal decisions and have dropped four straight overall.
Records: York 2-4-1, #10 Messiah 6-1
Shots: York 11, Messiah 16
Shots on Goal: York 5, Messiah 8
Corner Kicks: York 4, Messiah 11
Saves: York 7, Messiah 5
Fouls: York 9, Messiah 7
How It Happened
• The Falcons controlled the tempo of the game early. Messiah held a majority of the possession in the early as they racked up three corner kicks in the opening ten minutes of the game. A fourth corner kick would lead to Colby Thomas collecting a loose ball on the right end line. Thomas drove along the end line, feeding a ball to Cooper Robbins who poked home a shot inside the right post for the 1-0 Messiah lead. Robbins goal came in the 20th minute of the game.
• York's best first half scoring shot came 40 seconds after Robbins' goal as Zion Friday was hit with a long outlet pass on the left wing. Friday carried the ball through a number of Falcon defenders and hit a shot that was turned away by Messiah goalie Connor Bell.
• Messiah put a pair of shots on frame in the next 10 minutes but junior goalie Devin Weiner, making his first start in place of injured starter Billy Bridegum, was up to the task with a pair of saves.
• The Falcons outshot York 7-2 in the opening 45 minutes while they also held a 6-1 bulge in corner kicks.
• Friday had York's first opportunity in the second half as he hit a header in the 53rd minute that Bell saved to keep York off the board. Senior Chris Hobbs hit a header off corner that Bell also saved.
• The next 30 minutes of the game featured Messiah holding a majority of the possession with York getting short bursts of possession.
• Things got very interesting inside the final three minutes as York made a concentrated push into their offensive third. That push nearly paid off in the equalizer as Hobbs hit a rocket that was partially deflected and then hit squarely off the left post and bounded back into play. Hobbs got a second chance 20 seconds later and his shot was right at Bell who made the save as the Falcons would hold on for the one-goal win.
Chris Hobbs: 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
Zion Friday: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Marc Murgo: 2 shots
Malcom Djiki: 2 shots
Copper Robbins: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Colby Thomas: 1 assist, 2 shots
Kirby Robbins: 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
Justin Brautigam: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Micah Fitz: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Devin Weiner (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 7 saves (Loss, 0-1)
Connor Bell (MC): 90:00 minutes played, 0 goals against, 5 saves (Win, 6-1)
The Falcons have now won four straight in the series as Messiah is now 15-5-3 in the series … The Spartans have suffered back-to-back 1-0 shutouts after falling to Randolph in overtime on Saturday … Messiah has won four straight with three of those wins coming via shutout … the one goal for Messiah ties their lowest offensive output of the season … junior Devin Weiner made his first career start a memorable one as he recorded a career-high seven saves … despite being blanked in the last two games, York has fired off a combined 23 shots … the seven saves were a season-high for the Spartans … York opens conference play against Christopher Newport on Saturday as nine of their final 10 regular season games will be in the Capital Athletic Conference.
The Spartans return home on Saturday evening to host Christopher Newport in the Capital Athletic Conference opener for both squads. Kick off is set for 7:00 pm at Graham Field. At halftime, the Spartans will hold a "Celebrate the Lights" ceremony, recognizing the contributors to the new lights at Graham and Kinsley Fields.