BALTIMORE, MD – The 14th ranked Johns Hopkins University men's soccer team tallied four second half goals in the span of 12 minutes to down York College 4-1 in a non-conference contest at Homewood Field on Wednesday evening.
The loss is the second straight for the Spartans after they started the season 2-0-1.
Records: York 2-2-1, #14 Johns Hopkins 5-0
Shots: York 7, Johns Hopkins 18
Shots on Goal: York 4, Johns Hopkins 8
Corner Kicks: York 3, Johns Hopkins 9
Saves: York 4, Johns Hopkins 3
Fouls: York 8, Johns Hopkins 11
How It Happened:
• The Blue Jays were the aggressors on offense early as they fired off the first four shots of the game over the open 10 minutes of play. Fortunately for York, two of those shots were blocked by an active Spartan defensive backfield.
• The Spartans got on the board in the 13th minute. Senior Ben Mochan slid a through ball to freshman Zion Friday. Friday collected the pass above the box and ripped a shot into the back of the net for his second goal of the year and the 1-0 Spartan lead.
• The Blue Jays outshot York 9-4 in the first half but each team put two shots on frame.
• The Hopkins came out of the break and took the play to the Spartans. Connor Jacobs tied the game just 4:20 into the second stanza. Jonathon Brown gave the Blue Jays a 2-1 lead 5:11 later on a cross from Jonah Muniz.
• Hopkins put the game away with two more goals in the next seven minutes. Achim Younker scored his seventh goal of the year in the 61st minute and Gerrit Church struck for the Blue Jays' fourth goal a mere 27 seconds later.
Zion Friday: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Ben Mochan: 1 assist
Cristobal Corvalan: 1 shot on goal
Sam Johnson: 1 shot on goal
Joel Teston: 1 shot on goal
Achim Younker: 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Jonah Muniz: 2 assists
RJ Moore: 2 assists
Connor Jacobs: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Garrit Church: 1 goal, 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Jonathon Brown: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 90 minutes played, 4 goals against, 4 saves (Loss, 2-2-1)
Bryan See (JHU): 81:09 minutes played, 1 goal against, 3 saves (Win, 5-0)
Xander LaFevre (JHU): 8:51 minutes played, 0 goals against, 0 saves
The Spartans fall to 7-20-5 all-time against Hopkins … Hopkins has won three straight against the Spartans after York had won the previous three matches … the four goals scored by Hopkins are the most in the series since JHU downed York 5-0 on September 3, 1997 … freshman Zion Friday leads the Spartans in scoring with seven points on two goals and three assists … York has managed just a combined ten shots in their last two games … freshman Billy Bridegum notched a career-high four saves.
The Spartans continue their two game road trip with a trek to face Randolph in a non-conference contest on Saturday, September 16. The match in Lynchburg is set for a 4:30 pm start.