YORK, PA – The York College Spartan men's soccer team dropped a 4-0 decision to an undefeated Gettysburg College Bullets squad in a non-conference contest on Sunday afternoon in York. The loss came less than 20 hours after the Spartans played a scoreless double overtime tie against Stevenson on Saturday evening.
Records: York 2-1-1, Gettysburg 4-0
Shots: York 3, Gettysburg 10
Shots on Goal: York 2, Gettysburg 5
Corner Kicks: York 2, Gettysburg 8
Saves: York 1, Gettysburg 2
Fouls: York 9, Gettysburg 9
How It Happened:
• The Bullets came out of the gate fast with a pair of corner kicks and a pair of shots in the opening six minutes of the game but neither shot would come on frame.
•The Spartans had the best first chance of the game as Zion Friday collected a ball the wing and drove into the box. His shot was stopped by Gettysburg goalie Max Karen between his legs to deny the Spartans a goal.
• Just over two minutes later, the Spartans had a break away as Keith Witherell slid a pass to Friday who collected the ball and fired a shot past a prone Karen in the far right post. Unfortunately, Friday was whistled for an off-sides call, negating the apparent goal.
• The Bullets got on the board in the 29th minute as Jeff Schaefer collected a loose ball in the back of the box after a throw in on the far sideline and finished off the chance for the opening salvo.
• The Spartans got a Kenny Crist shot on goal in the final 20 seconds of the first half but Karen made the stop to keep the Spartans off the board.
• The Bullets made it 2-0 just over 16 minutes into the second half as Patrick Santini scored his fifth goal of the year. Santini has now scored in five straight matches dating back to the 2016 season.
• The Bullets got an own goal off a Spartan defender on a corner kick in the 74th minute as the Gettysburg lead grew to 3-0.
• Gettysburg capped the scoring as Matt Stine hit a cross that found the head of Sakyi Hylton-Dei as he finished the chance in the 82nd minute.
• York would not attempt a second-half shot as the Bullets outshot them 6-0.
Zion Friday: 1 shot on goal
Kenny Crist: 1 shot on goal
Patrick Santini: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Sakyi Hylton-Dei: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Jeff Schaefer: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Bobby Weikert: 1 shot on goal
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 90 minutes played, 4 goals against, 1 save (Loss, 2-1-1)
Max Karen (GC): 90 minutes played, 0 goals against, 2 saves (Win, 2-0)
The Spartans have lost three straight to the Bullets as Gettysburg leads the all-time series 21-9-3 … the four goal differential is the largest in the series since September 5, 2007 when York registered a 5-1 win over the Bullets at Graham Field … the four goal margin ties Gettysburg's biggest win in the series matching the 1895 meeting when Gettysburg earned a 4-0 win … The Spartans have not scored since Brook Addisu's goal with 10:54 left in the Catholic game, a span of 210:54 of game time … the four goals are the most surrendered by an Evan Scheffey coached Spartan squad.
The Spartans head out on the road on Wednesday night with a trip to historic Homewood Field to face the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays in a non-conference tilt. Kick off for the contest in Baltimore is slated for 7:00 pm.