FLOWERY BRANCH, GA – The York College men's golf squad sits tied for fourth at the highly competitive Royal Lakes Fall Invitational hosted by Oglethorpe University at the Royal Lakes Golf Club in Flowery Branch, Georgia. The Spartans fired an opening round score of 298 as they are tied with Birmingham Southern, California Lutheran, and Greensboro at ten over par.
Babson holds the first round lead with a score 291. Maryville and Hampden-Sydney are tied for second at 292.
The Spartan round is pretty remarkable considering the Green and White were a combined 10 over par after their first four holes of play.
Top Spartan Performers
• Senior Tyler Newton continues his strong early season play as he is second overall as he carded a three-under-par 69. Newton, who started on the tenth hole in the first round, got off to a quick start with a birdie on his first hole. Four straight pars followed before he suffered a bogey on the par four 15th. After a par on 16, Newton finished the opening nine strong with a birdie on the par four 17th followed by an eagle three on the par five 18th hole. Newton would go even par on his final nine holes as he had two birdies, two bogeys and five pars en route to a 36. Newton is two strokes back of first round leader Jacob Arnett from Oglethorpe.
• Sophomore Luke Fayocavitz had a steady round as he fired an even-par 72 for his round. Fayocavitz was three over on his opening nine as he bogeyed 11, 13, and 17 to shoot a 39 on the front. He bounced back with five birdies and a pair of bogeys to go three under on his final nine. Fayocavitz is tied for ninth, five strokes back of the pace set by Arnett.
• Freshman Casey Leebrick finished with a day-one score of 77 as he had his round derailed early. Leebrick started bogey and quadruple bogey as he was five over after just two holes. Leebrick birdied 12 but had a double on 13. The freshman steadied the ship and birdied 15 to finish with a 41 on his first nine. He recovered to shoot an even par 36 on his inward nine to finish with his 77. Leebrick is tied for 52nd in the 102 player field.
• Sophomore Joel Marshall was York's fourth scorer as he shot an eight-over-par 80. Marshall had a tough opening nine as he had five bogeys and a double bogey to shoot 43 on the front. Marshall settled in on his second nine as he shot a one-over-par 37 to finish with his 80.
• Freshman Dylan Wyatt was York's fifth tournament participant as he carded a score of 87. Wyatt, in his first varsity tournament, shot 49 on the front followed by a two-over 38 on the back.
Senior Tyler Newton posted his ninth career round under par as he was three under on Monday … Newton tied Ryan Wolbach for the most rounds in school history as Newton has 64 rounds played as a Spartan … Newton is looking to extend his school record for individual victories as he already has three tournament wins for his career.
The Spartans play the second and final round of the Royal Lakes Fall Invitational on Tuesday morning. The tee times start at 8:00 am from Flowery Branch, Georgia.