ABBOTTSTOWN, PA – The York College golf squad spent a rainy Saturday at the Bridges Golf Club participating in the opening round of the 2016 Mason-Dixon Collegiate Classic hosted by McDaniel College. The Spartans finished day one tied for eighth out of 13 teams in the tournament.
Bridges Golf Club – Abbottstown, Pa.
Top Five Tournament Teams (Par 288)
1. Kenyon – 290 (+2)
2. McDaniel – 297 (+9)
3. Messiah – 305 (+17)
4. Stevens – 306 (+18)
5. Muhlenberg – 308 (+20)
T8. York (Pa.) – 314 (+26)
Top Spartan Finishers
• Freshman Morgan Uhlick (Fredericksburg, Va./Massaponax) once again led the Spartans as he fired a three-over-par 75 to finish tied for 11th in the 70 player field. Uhlick shot a one-over 37 on the front nine. He started the round with six straight pars before posting a bogey on seven. He had a second straight bogey on eight but ended the front nine with a birdie on the par four ninth hole. Uhlick had two bogeys and seven pars to shoot a two-over 38 on the back. Uhlick sits six strokes back of tournament leader Brandon Vance from McDaniel.
• Sophomore Tyler Newton (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) played well for the Spartans as he shot a five-over-par 77 to sit tied for 20th after the first round. Newton shot a 42 on the front nine as he he started with a triple and a bogey on the first two holes. He rebounded to shoot just two over the remaining seven holes on the front. Newton bounced back in a big way on the back as he recorded a pair of birdies, one bogey and six pars en route to a 35 on the inward nine. Newton is tied with eight players at +5.
• Senior Alex Colton (Bangor, Pa./Bangor) was the third Spartan to shoot in the 70's as he carded a seven-over-par 79. Colton shot 43 on the front but steadied himself with an even-par 36 on the back. He is tied for 31st place.
• Junior Brandon Hur (Monroe Township, N.J./Monroe Township) was the fourth Spartan scorer as he shot an 83. Hur carded a 43 on the front nine followed by a 40 on the back. He is tied for 57th place.
• Freshman Zach Billings (Bel Air, Md./Fallston) was the fifth tournament participant for the Spartans as he shot an 84 to tie for 63rd place.
The Spartans team round of 314 was their second highest round of the year as it was three strokes better than their worst round of the year, a 317 at the Tom Kinder Memorial Tournament … Kenyon holds a seven stroke lead over second place McDaniel … five players were under par during the round … no player finished at even par.
The Spartans return to the Bridges on Sunday morning when they play in the second round of the Mason-Dixon Collegiate Classic. The round is slated for a 9:30 am start.