HARRISONBURG, VA – The York College golf squad had a tough round on Tuesday during the second day of the Tom Kinder Memorial Tournament hosted by Bridgewater College. The Spartans shot a day two 317 to fall into 13th place in the 17 team field. The Spartans started the day in ninth but shot the second worse team score on Tuesday.
Course: Lakeview Golf Club – Harrisonburg, Virginia
Team Top Five (Two Day Par - 576)
1. Ferrum – 576 (E)
2. Hampden-Sydney – 584 (+8)
3. Virginia Wesleyan – 587 (+11)
4. Bridgewater – 592 (+16)
5. Mary Washington - 606 (+30)
13. York – 625 (+49)
Top York Performers
• Freshman Morgan Uhlick (Fredericksburg, Va./Massaponax) led the Spartans in the tournament as he shot a day two total of 149 after shooting a two-over-par 74 during day two. Uhlick shot a 38 on the front as he had an eagle on three and a birdie on six to go along with five bogeys. He shot an even par on the back side with birdies on 11, 14, and 16 while he bogeyed 10, 13, and 15. Uhlick finished the tournament tied for 19th place, 12 strokes back of tournament champion Brandon Bailey from Ferrum.
• Tyler Newton (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) finished the tournament with a two-day score of 151 after he shot a five-over-par 77 on Tuesday. Newton shot a 40 on the front nine as he had two bogeys and a double bogey. He rebounded on the back nine to shoot a one-over-par 37 as he birdied 11 and then bogeyed 12 and 13. Newton finished tied for 29th place.
• Senior Alex Colton (Bangor, Pa./Bangor) was York's third place finisher as he shot a ten-over-par 82 to finish the tournament with a score of 159. Colton carded a four-over-par 40 on the front side as he had a very up and down round. Colton had two birdies, a double, and four bogeys on the front nine. He then had two doubles, three bogeys and a birdie on his way to a back-side 42. Colton finished in a tie for 61st place.
• Freshman Benjamin Shoefelt (Navarre, Ohio/Fairless) was the final Spartan scorer as he shot an 84 on Tuesday to finish with a two-day total of 166. Shoefelt shot 42 on the front nine with six bogeys. He then shot a matching 42 on the back with five bogeys, one double and a birdie on hole number 14. He finished tied for 81st in the 89 player field.
Morgan Uhlick and Tyler Newton led the tournament with two eagles each … Uhlick had one eagle in each round while Newton recorded both of his on Monday … The Spartans led the tournament field with four team eagles while Stevenson University was second with three … three other CAC teams participated in the tournament as Mary Washington finished fifth, Marymount was tied for sixth and PSU Harrisburg was 10th … Mary Washington is in their first varsity season … York was nine shots worse on Tuesday than on Monday when they shot a 308.
The Spartans return to action on Sunday, September 18 when they head to Dauphin Highlands Golf Club to participate in the two day Penn State Harrisburg Fall Invitational. The action kicks off Sunday morning at 9:00 am.