YORK, PA – The Spartan field hockey squad came up just short as they fell 4-3 to the 8th ranked Salisbury Seagulls in CAC action on a windy Wednesday afternoon in York.
Final Score: York 3 – # 8 SU 4
Records: York 8-6, (2-1), SU 12-2, (3-0)
Shots: York 16, SU 21
Shots on Goal: York 7, SU 11
Penalty Corners: York 14, SU 6
How It Happened:
• After a back and forth first half Salisbury found the back of the net as Arielle Johnston launched a shot from the outside that was bouncing around in by the goal and Camryn Dennis came out of the scrum to tip the ball passed the diving Spartan defenders to give Salisbury a 1-0 lead with 12:21 to go in the first period.
• Both teams were able to generate some offensive chances but neither could find the goal as the score remained 1-0 at the half in a defensive struggle.
• The Seagulls came out firing as they extended their lead to 2-0 at the 43:46 mark when Tara Flavin poked the ball through a scrum of players in front of the goal that trickled into the net.
• Only 1:44 later, Salisbury added another score as Camryn Dennis rocketed a hard pass towards the right post where Jenna Partilla tipped the pass into the top of the net to give the Seagulls a 3-0 advantage.
• York answered quickly as Greta Plappert tipped an initial shot from the outside off the stick of Sam Collis up and over the sprawling Seagull keeper to cut the lead to 3-1 with just over 20 minutes to play.
• Just under five minutes later the Spartans earned a penalty stroke that Greta Plappert buried into the top right corner to cut the deficit to just one with 16:30 left to play.
• Salisbury got a key insurance goal with just under ten minutes remaining as Arielle Johnston rebounded her own shot and placed the ball in the far-left corner to give the Gulls a 4-2 lead late in regulation.
• The Spartans added one in the final seconds as Dana Meehling placed her own penalty stroke into the top right corner to make the final result 4-3 in favor of Salisbury.
Greta Plappert: 2 goals, 3 shots on goal, 7 shots
Dana Meehling: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal, 5 shots
Sam Collis: 1 assist
Arielle Johnston: 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 shots on goal, 7 shots
Jenna Partilla: 1 goal, 3 shots on goal, 3 shots
Tara Flavin, 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 4 shots
Camryn Dennis: 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 shot on goal, 1 shot
Sam Keating(YCP): 70 minutes, 4 goals against, 7 saves (Loss, 8-6)
Dom Farrace (SU): 70 minutes, 3 goals against, 4 saves (Win, 10-2)
York is now 1-34 all-time against the Seagulls … the loss snaps a five-game winning streak for the Spartans … the three goals were the most ever against Salisbury since September 30, 2000, which also came in a 4-3 defeat … Greta Plappert added two goals in the loss and now has a team-high 10 goals and 25 points on the season … Plappert is now third in the CAC in goals and tied for second in total points in the conference … Dana Meehling stayed hot offensively as she tallied her sixth goal of the year and has now scored three goals in the last two matches and five goals in the last five games … freshman Sam Collis recorded her first assist of her career in the loss … goalkeeper Sam Keating recorded her 100th career save as she added seven more in the match … Keating is now the eighth Spartan ever to make 100 saves in their career … York is now 5-4 at Kinsley Field this year.
The Spartans are back on the road in a CAC bout against the Mary Washington Eagles on Saturday. Game time scheduled for 12:00 pm in Fredericksburg, Va.