YORK, PA – The York College field hockey team remained red hot as the Spartans won their fourth straight match with a 5-0 victory over St. Mary's College in Capital Athletic Conference action on Saturday in York. The Spartans improve to 5-0 at the friendly confines of Kinsley Field.
Records: York 9-2 (2-0 CAC), St. Mary's 6-7 (1-1 CAC)
Shots: York 31, St. Mary's 5
Shots on Goal: York 18, St. Mary's 4
Penalty Corners: York 18, St. Mary's 2
Saves: York 4, St. Mary's 13
How It Happened
• The Spartans had their foot on the gas from the start as they fired off four shots in the opening five minutes of the contest. The Spartans finally got on the board when Paige Taylor flicked a pass into the circle and senior Autumn Mallory finished the chance in front of the cage for the 1-0 Spartan lead. Mallory's goal came 5:18 into the contest.
• York continued to dominate throughout the remainder of the second half but Seahawk goalie Alyssa Thompson played well and maintained St. Mary's one goal deficit at the break.
• York outshot the Seahawks 20-0 and also had a 10-0 margin in penalty corners in the opening 35 minutes. The Seahawks had just one first half possession inside the Spartans' defensive circle.
• Much like it has been all year, the Spartans scored in bunches in the second half. Beth Patrick opened the second half scoring as Greta Plappert fed Patrick for the goal just 6:41 into the second half.
• Patrick's goal seemed to open the flood gates as York made it 3-0 less than three minutes later as Mallory picked up her second goal of the game off a nice chip pass from Lindsay Nye.
• York made it 4-0 3:16 later as Mallory completed her hat trick with a goal off a rebound as the Spartan offense continued to roll.
• Autumn Mallory: 3 goals, 8 shots, 5 shots on goal
• Beth Patrick: 1 goal, 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
• Mathilde Govers: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
• Lindsay Nye: 1 assist, 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
• Paige Taylor: 1 assist, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
• Greta Plappert: 1 assist, 2 shots on goal
• Jennifer Morrissette: 1 defensive save
St. Mary's Leaders
• Sophie Michel: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
• Jessica Zhang: 1 shot on goal
• Hannah Dietrich: 1 shot on goal
• Nicole Lertora: 1 defensive save
Eve Hauptle (YCP): 47:53 minutes played, 0 goals against, 0 saves (Win, 9-2)
Sam Keating (YCP): 22:07 minutes played, 0 goals against, 3 saves
Alyssa Thompson (SMC): 70:00 minutes played, 5 goals against, 12 saves (Loss, 6-7)
York improves to 22-10 all-time against St. Mary's as the Spartans have won six straight in the series … York has outscored St. Mary's 18-1 during their five match win streak in the series … St. Mary's has not scored against York in over 280 minutes of play as York has four straight shutouts against St. Mary's … the five goal margin of victory is the largest in the series since York earned a 5-0 victory at St. Mary's on September 25, 1999 … York has now outscored their five home opponents 28-4 … York has outscored their last four opponents 21-3 during their four game win streak … senior Autumn Mallory has passed sophomore teammate Greta Plappert for the scoring lead in the CAC … Mallory has a league best 14 goals while Plappert is second at 12 goals … the next closest goal scorer is at eight goals … Mallory (30 points) and Plappert (26 points) are also 1-2 in points in the CAC … York earned its third shutout of the year with the clean sheet … Autumn Mallory notched a second hat trick of her season and fourth of her career (@ Johns Hopkins – Sept. 27, 2017, @ Mary Washington – Oct. 22, 2014, and @ Eastern Mennonite – Sept. 3, 2016) … it's the first time Mallory has gotten at hat trick at Kinsley Field … York has registered 31 shots in three consecutive games … York recorded a season-high 18 penalty corners in the win … York notched just their third defensive of the year as Jennifer Morrissette recorded the stop early in the second half … York had a season-high four assists in the win.
The Spartans continue their season-high five game home stand with a Wednesday night game against Bridgewater (Va.). The game is slated for a 6:00 pm start at Kinsley Field.