YORK, PA – The York College field hockey squad got an overtime goal from senior Autumn Mallory as they opened their home campaign with a 1-0 win over Dickinson College at renovated Kinsley Field on Wednesday night. The victory was also the first win under the guidance of first-year Spartan head coach Katie Fost.
The game was played in a steady rain, necessitating the use of the newly installed lights.
Records: York 1-1, Dickinson 2-1
Shots: York 30, Dickinson 10
Shots on Goal: York 21, Dickinson 6
Penalty Corners: York 15, Dickinson 4
Saves: York 6, Dickinson 20
How It Happened
• The Spartans had a better of the play early as they attacked the Red Devil defense immediately, registering the game's first shot and penalty corner inside the first minute of the game.
• York carried the play through the first half as they outshot their guests 10-3 but Dickinson goalie Freddie Bancroft played well with seven first half saves to keep the game scoreless.
• York continued to pressure the Red Devil defense in the second half. Dickinson countered for a five-minute stretch as they fired off three shots in a row including a penalty corner. Spartan goalie Eve Hauptle made saves on all three of the shots to keep the score knotted at zero.
• It was all York late in regulation as York had five the final six shots of the game including an Autumn Mallory shot with 33 seconds left in the second half. It was a shot that Bancroft stopped to force overtime. York outshot the Red Devils 14-5 in the second half.
• York opened overtime with a shot from Ali Posey that Bancroft saved. The Red Devils took the ball to the other end of the field and Mia Scott fired a shot that was saved by Hauptle. After some back and forth play during the extra session, York applied a run of heavy pressure that started with a Beth Patrick shot that was stopped. Mallory got the rebound and put it back on frame and Bancroft stopped that shot as well. Mallory would get a second crack and this time she snuck the ball past Bancroft for the game-winning goal.
• Autumn Mallory: 1 goal, 6 shots, 4 shots on goal
• Ali Posey: 5 shots, 4 shots on goal
• Greta Plappert: 4 shots on goal
• Dana Meehling: 4 shots on goal
Red Devil Leaders
• Mia Scott: 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
• Taylor Bednar: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
• Delaney Ahn: 1 shot on goal
• Marie Leverdiere: 1 shot on goal
Eve Hauptle (YCP): 80:53 minutes played, 0 goals against, 6 saves (Win, 1-1)
Freddie Bancroft (DC): 80:53 minutes played, 1 goal against, 20 saves (Loss, 2-1)
She Said It
"I was proud of how hard we played during the game," said head coach Katie Fost. "I thought we gave ourselves great opportunities in the offensive third and we were finally able to get it done in overtime. It was great to be able to get our first win and I am looking forward to getting many more moving forward. It certainly was exciting."
The Spartans have won three straight against the Red Devils with all three decisions coming in overtime (3-2 in York in 2015, 5-4 in Carlisle in 2016, and 1-0 in York in 2017) … York leads the overall series 22-15-4 … York has won five of the last six in the series … Autumn Mallory's game winning goal was the sixth of her career and first of this season … Mallory now has 69 career points on 31 goals and seven assists … junior Eve Hauptle now has nine career shutouts as she registered six saves in the win … the Spartans' 30 shots are the most since they fired off 30 shots against Johns Hopkins in a 7-4 win at Kinsley Field on September 28, 2016 … York is 16-4 at Kinsley Field dating back to the start of the 2016 season.
The Spartans welcome Shenandoah University to Kinsley Field for a non-conference contest on Saturday afternoon in York. The game is slated for a 2:00 pm start.