YORK, PA. – Bobby Kuehn tossed eight incredible innings as the York College baseball team opened up Capital Athletic Conference play with a 6-3 victory over the Southern Virginia Knights. Kuehn struck out a career-high 10 batters in the win.
York (Pa.): 5-1, (1-0)
Southern Virginia: 4-3, (0-1)
Score: York 6, Southern Virginia 3
Hits: York 10, Southern Virginia 11
Errors: York 2, Southern Virginia 0
Left on Base: York 11, Southern Virginia 9
Doubles: York 2, Southern Virginia 2
Triples: York 0, Southern Virginia 0
Homeruns: York 2, Southern Virginia 0
How It Happened:
• The Spartans found their offense first in the second inning. Rob Acierno led off the frame being plunked by a pitch and then advancing to second on a sacrifice bunt by Garrett Southern. Acierno would come in to score when the next batter Jimmy Wiegers drilled a double in to the left-center gap giving York an early 1-0 lead.
• Bobby Kuehn was locked in all afternoon and started with allowing just two hits while striking out four batters through his first three innings of work. The Spartans would add another run in the bottom of the third. Grant Oberholtzer and Brandon White both walked before Jack Barry would drive in Oberholtzer on a two-out single to right field. York would leave two runners on base but led 2-0 after three innings of play.
• The Knights would finally get going offensively in the top of the fourth scoring a pair of runs on four hits in the frame. Southern Virginia had just two hits through three innings. After a lead-off popup, the Knights got back-to-back doubles from Bridger Taylor and Canon Anderson to plate their first run of the game. Anderson would later score on a two-out knock by Hunter Blunt and the game was tied 2-2. The Knights added another run in the top of the fifth on a Canon Anderson RBI single and SVU took their first lead of the contest.
• York answered right away in grand fashion. Austin Denlinger led off the frame with a bunt single to set the table for Barry who blasted a no-doubter of a homerun over the right field wall and York took the lead right back 4-3. Barry would groundout in the bottom of the sixth to bring in another run and York took a 5-3 lead into the top of the seventh.
• Kuehn owned the top of the seventh striking out the side in the seventh making quick work of that SVU lineup. York added their final run on a solo homer to left off the bat of Oberholtzer for some much-needed insurance. Conor Miller would come in to close the deal in the top of the ninth. The Knights would manage a pair of hits to bring the tying run to the plate but Miller got Cole Critchfield to fly out and earn the save as York took game one in the series 6-3.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Jack Barry: 2-for-5, 4 RBI, 1 run scored, HR
Austin Denlinger: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored
Grant Oberholtzer: 1-for-3, RBI, 2 runs scored, HR, 2 BB
Jimmy Wiegers: 1-for-2, RBI, 2B, 2 BB
Southern Virginia Offensive Leaders
Bridger Taylor: 2-for-3, 1 run scored, 2B
Canon Anderson: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, 2B
Ryan Morin: 2-for-3, BB
Jonny Soto: 2-for-4
Bobby Kuehn: 8.0 innings pitched, 9 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned, BB, 10 K (W, 2-0)
Conor Miller: 1.0 innings pitched, 2 hits (Save, 1)
Southern Virginia Pitching
Riley Daniels: 4.2 innings pitched, 6 hits, 4 runs, 4 earned, 5 BB, 5 K (L, 1-2)
Austin Forsyth: 2.1 innings pitched, 4 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned, 3 BB, K
Jaxon Newbold: 1.0 innings pitched, K
Notes: The Spartans are now 9-3 all-time against Southern Virginia … the win snapped a small two-game skid to the Knights … York has now won their last five conference openers … the Spartan offense knocked ten hits in the game, their third game with double-digit hits this season … York is now 3-0 in games decided by three runs or less … the Spartans are 2-0 at home this season … Bobby Kuehn tied his longest career outing with 8.0 innings while setting a new career high fanning 10 batters in the win … Conor Miller picked up his first save of the season and second of his career … Jack Barry and Grant Oberholtzer each launched their first homeruns of the season … Barry had a season-high four RBI in the win … with another run scored, Rob Acierno now has a team-leading 11 runs scored on the season … York has struggled defensively making at least one error in every game and now have four games with more than one miscue … the Spartans have turned a double play in the field in five of six games this year and have now turned eight in the six games this year.
The Spartans will conclude their three-game series with Southern Virginia with a doubleheader tomorrow afternoon. The first game is scheduled for 12:00 pm with second game to follow roughly 20 minutes after the conclusion of game one.