YORK, PA. – The York College baseball team completed a four-run comeback by scoring five runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to topple Messiah 7-6 in non-conference action on Wednesday afternoon. Brandon White hit a go-ahead grand slam in the seventh to propel the Spartans past the Falcons.
York (Pa.): 4-1
Score: York 7, Messiah 6
Hits: York 8, Messiah 14
Errors: York 4, Messiah 1
Left on Base: York 10, Messiah 8
Doubles: York 2, Messiah 1
Triples: York 1, Messiah 1
Homeruns: York 2, Messiah 1
How It Happened:
• The Falcons got on the board early after Trent Culver led off the game with a single up the middle. Culver would steal second and then advance to third base on a flyout to deep right field. Culver would complete his trip around the bases when he scored on a sacrifice fly to right field off the bat Josh Hayner to take an early 1-0 lead.
• Messiah would take advantage of three Spartan errors in the top half of the fourth inning to bring in three runs with only one ball making it to the outfield. Kyle Wickenheiser led off the inning with an infield single and advanced to second on the first Spartan miscue of the frame. Hunter Brindle would double down the left field line to bring in Wickenheiser. The Falcons would tack on two more runs on just one hit in the inning and led 4-0 after 3 and a half innings.
• York would respond in the fourth by getting their first hit of the game to that point. After the first two batters of the inning were retired, Garrett Southern worked a two-out walk to keep the inning alive. Jimmy Wiegers would step up to the plate and smash a triple off the wall in right-center field and would come in to score on a Falcon error trying to throw Wiegers out at third that sailed into the Falcon dugout. York cut the Falcon lead in half and trailed by just a pair after four innings.
• In the top of the fifth, Sam Stewart launched a pinch-hit homerun over the left field fence to get one of those runs back and led 5-2 headed into the bottom of the fifth. York was held hitless and scoreless in the fifth and sixth and still trailed 5-2 after six and a half innings of play.
• York's offense finally came alive in the bottom of the seventh scoring five runs on two separate homers. Wiegers led the inning off with an opposite field homerun to left field to cut the deficit back to two. The Spartans would then load the base on a Bailey Doan hit-by-pitch, a Grant Oberholtzer single, and an Austin Denlinger hit-by-pitch which set the table for Brandon White. White would take advantage of the moment and launch a moon shot of a grand slam to left field that gave York their first lead at 7-5. The Spartans would leave two runners on base, unable to add any insurance runs, but still led by a pair after seven innings of play.
• After a scoreless eighth pitched by Zac Stoll, Messiah led off the ninth when Culver laced a triple off the wall in center field. Stoll would get the next two batters out but one of those outs was a sac fly that brought in Culver and cut the Spartan advantage to just one. After a pair of seeing-eye singles off the bats of the Falcons, Will Grega came in to officially shut the door. Grega walked the first runner he faced, loading the bases full of Falcons, but would get Clayton Roberts to foul out down the right-field line as Jack Barry made a tremendous over-the-shoulder grab in the Spartans' bullpen to complete the 7-6 comeback victory.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Jimmy Wiegers: 2-for-4, 3 RBI, 2 runs scored, 3B, HR
Brandon White: 1-for-5, 4 RBI, 1 run scored, GS
Grant Oberholtzer: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, BB
Jack Barry: 1-for-2, 2B, 2 BB
Messiah Offensive Leaders
Sam Stewart: 2-for-3, RBI, 1 run scored, HR
Trent Culver: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, 3B, 2 SB
Billy Davis: 2-for-2, RBI, 2B
Hunter Brindle: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, BB
Josh Mann: 6.0 innings pitched, 9 hits, 5 runs, 3 earned, BB, K
Conor Miller: 1.0 innings pitched, K (W, 1-0)
Zac Stoll: 1.2 innings pitched, 5 hits, 1 run, 1 earned
Will Grega: 0.1 innings pitched, BB, (Save, 1)
Glenn Petraitis: 4.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, 2 runs, 1 earned, 3 BB, 2 K
Carson Spangler: 2.0 innings pitched, BB, 4 K
Josh Monturo: 0.1 innings pitched, 4 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned, BB (L, 0-1)
Chase Peiffer: 1.2 innings pitched, 3 hits, K
Notes: The Spartans are now 42-8 all-time against Messiah … York has now won four games in a row … sophomore outfielder Jimmy Wiegers continued to stay hot as he has recorded a hit in all five games so far this season and now is boasting a .381 average to go with one double, triple, and homerun … Brandon White hit his first homer as a Spartan in grand fashion blasting a go-ahead grand slam in the seventh inning … White leads the Spartans with 11 RBI … Grant Oberholtzer had his second-straight multi-hit game and also had a hit in every game so far this year … York set a new season-high committing four errors and have at least one miscue in all five games this season … freshman Josh Mann made his first collegiate start and went 6.0 strong innings allowing just 3 earned runs … Conor Miller came out of the pen to record his first career win in the Green and White … Will Grega picked up his 7th career save and now sits alone at fourth-place on the all-time career saves list.
The Spartans stay home and are scheduled to open their conference season with a three-game series against Southern Virginia. Game one is scheduled for 3:30 pm on Friday with a doubleheader on Saturday to follow.