YORK, PA – The York College baseball team got a great start from junior Will Grega and an 18-run explosion as the Green and White earned an 18-7 Capital Athletic Conference win over Frostburg State University on Wednesday in York.
The Spartans and Bobcats are battling for CAC tournament position as they occupy the lower half of the current bracket with 12 days left in the conference schedule.
Records: York 14-13-1 (7-6 CAC), FSU 17-10 (5-7 CAC)
Score: York 18, FSU 7
Hits: York 18, FSU 12
Errors: York 0, FSU 4
Left on Base: York 8, FSU 9
Doubles: York 4, FSU 3
Triples: York 0, Harrisburg 0
Home Runs: York 0, FSU 2
How It Happened
• The Spartans opened the scoring in the first off Bobcat ace Greg Schneider. Grant Oberholtzer reached on an error to lead off the inning. A walk and a fielder's choice moved Oberholtzer to third and he scored when Christian Bilan stroked a sacrifice fly to center, giving York a run without the benefit of a hit.
• York added a four-spot in the second inning to push their lead to 5-0. Garrett Southern started the uprising with a sharp one out single to right. Collin Crowell reached on a Bobcat error. Patrick Clement loaded the bases on an infield single. Oberholtzer answered with a rocket double that one-hopped the right field wall, scoring Southern and Crowell. Clement came around to score on a wild pitch. Hossler singled up the middle to score Oberholtzer with York's fourth run of the inning.
• After a quiet third inning, the Spartans blew the game wide open in the fourth as they plated 10 runs on 10 hits with one big Bobcat error. Hossler opened the scoring with a bloop RBI single with the bases loaded to score a run. Clement came around to score on a wild pitch and then Seth Brosius singled to short to drive in another run. After a fielder's choice, freshman Jack Barry stroked a two-run double down the right field line. Southern then drove in two with a two run single up the middle. The Spartans then re-loaded the bases and Oberholtzer drove in two with a two-run ground rule double to left center. Hossler then singled home two more runs to close out the scoring in the inning.
• York scored a single run in the sixth on a Brosius two-out RBI single.
• The Bobcats spoiled the shutout for Will Grega as Nick Fuhmann hit a solo home run to left to lead off the seventh. Grega finished the inning to close out his best start of the season.
• FSU added a run in the eighth and the Spartans answered with two in the bottom of the inning. The Bobcats got five runs in the top of the ninth to make the score appear much closer than it was.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Grant Oberholtzer: 3-for-4, 3 runs scored, 4 RBI, 2 2B
Zach Hossler: 3-for-4, 1 run scored, 4 RBI
Seth Brosius: 3-for-5, 1 run scored, 1 RBI
Garrett Southern: 2-for-3, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI
Collin Crowell: 2-for-5, 3 runs scored
Bobcat Offensive Leaders
Kyle Burger: 2-for-3
Jason Paredes: 2-for-2, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, HR
Patrick Bosley: 2-for-5, 1 RBI, 2 2B
Paul D'Amico: 1-for-2, 1 run scored, RBI
Will Grega: 7.0 IP, 7 hits, 1 earned run, 1 BB, 2 K (Win, 3-3)
Alex Myers: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned run
Joe Markowski: 0.0 IP, 0 hits, 3 earned runs, 2 BB, 2 HB
Donovan Oakes: 1.0 IP, 3 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 K
Greg Schneider: 3.2 IP, 12 hits, 15 runs, 6 earned runs, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HB (Loss, 6-2)
Travis Brashear: 1.1 IP, 3 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB
Lane Ward: 2.0 IP, 1 hit, 1 earned run, 3 BB, 1 K
Bret Fogle: 0.1 IP, 1 hit, 2 unearned runs, 1 BB, 1 K
Christian Rivera: 0.2 IP, 1 hit, 2 WP
The win snaps a six game losing streak against Frostburg State … York's last win over the Bobcats came on April 18, 2014 in the opening round of the CAC Tournament at Jaquet Field … The Spartans are now 14-24 all-time against FSU … the Spartans battered one of the top pitchers in the CAC as they tagged Greg Schneider for 15 runs (six earned) on 12 hits in just 3.2 innings of work … Schneider came into the game having allowed just 13 runs total for the year in 46.1 innings of work … Schneider needed 109 pitches to navigate his 3.2 innings of action … junior Will Grega picked up his third win of the year with his best outing of the year as he allowed one run on seven hits on 106 pitches … he walked just one in the win … junior Grant Oberholtzer tied his career-high with four RBI in the win … senior Zach Hossler also tied his career-high with four RBI in the victory … the Spartans have reached double figures in runs in 14 games including five of their last six games … York is now 11-2-1 when scoring over 10 runs in a game … York is 9-2 when scoring first in a game … York is 14-1-1 when recording more hits than their opponents … York is 4-0 when notching an errorless game.
The Spartans return to action on Tuesday when they travel to Frostburg State University to face the Bobcats in a Capital Athletic Conference contest. First pitch is scheduled for 3:45 pm in Frostburg, Maryland.