YORK, PA – The York College baseball squad saw their five game win streak come to an end as Penn State Harrisburg scored five runs over the final three innings to down the Spartans 10-4 in Capital Athletic Conference play on a raw Sunday afternoon in York.
The Spartans were trying to sweep the series from the Lions after their 14-7 win on Thursday but Harrisburg got an important split.
Records: York 13-13-1 (6-6 CAC), Harrisburg 23-7 (10-3 CAC)
Score: York 10, Harrisburg 4
Hits: York 7, Harrisburg 13
Errors: York 4, Harrisburg 0
Left on Base: York 7, Harrisburg 11
Doubles: York 3, Harrisburg 2
Triples: York 0, Harrisburg 0
Home Runs: York 0, Harrisburg 2
How It Happened
• The Lions wasted little time in jump out in front as Bret Williams jacked a solo home run to left to lead off the game, staking Harrisburg to the 1-0 lead. York responded in the bottom of the first as Grant Oberholtzer singled and moved to third on a Zach Hossler double down the left field line. Oberholtzer then came home on a sacrifice fly from Seth Brosius and Hossler scored on a Christian Bilan sacrifice fly to make it 2-1 York.
• Harrisburg answered York's two runs with a pair of their own to take a 3-2 lead. Ryan McSorley was hit by a pitch and was followed by a Scott Angstadt double. A walk loaded the bases and McSorley came home on a Williams sacrifice fly to center. Angstadt came around to score on a Alex Cline single to right.
• The Lions pushed the lead to 4-2 in the third as Miguel Torres walked, stole second and then scored on a two-out single to right from Angstadt. York manufactured a run in the bottom of the third as Bailey Doan was hit by a pitch, stole second, moved to third on a ground out to second and scored on a Hossler ground out to second as York cut the Lion lead to one.
• After a scoreless fourth and fifth innings, Harrisburg got a single run in the sixth though it could have been much worse. The Lions loaded the bases with no one out. Reliever Tim Halasnik got a double play ground ball that scored the run but got out of the inning as Ryan Aug was cut down at the plate trying to steal home.
• York answered with a Collin Crowell bases loaded infield single but a ground out prevented the Spartans from getting any closer.
• The Lions blew the game open late as they scored one run in the seventh and two each in the eighth and ninth innings to provide for the final six run margin of victory.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Grant Oberholtzer: 2-for-5, 1 run scored
Zach Hossler: 1-for-5, 1 run scored, RBI, 2B
Seth Brosius: 1-for-3, RBI
Collin Crowell: 1-for-4, 1 RBI
Lion Offensive Leaders
Bret Williams: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, 4 RBI, 2 HR
Scott Angstadt: 3-for-4, 2 runs scored, RBI, 2B
Alex Cline: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 1 RBI
Zach Koroneos: 2-for-4
Alex Myers: 2.1 IP, 4 hits, 4 earned runs, 2 BB, 0 K (Loss, 0-1)
Tim Halasnik: 4.2 IP, 6 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned run, 2 BB, 3 K
Ben Demchak: 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 2 runs, 2 BB, 3 K
John Szwajkowski: 1.0 IP, 3 hits, 2 earned runs, 0 BB, 3 K
Tristan James: 5.1 IP, 4 hits, 4 earned runs, 2 BB, 2 K (Win, 2-1)
Cameron Michaud: 2.2 IP, 3 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB, 2 K
Brendan Riotto: 1.0 IP, 2 K
The Spartans are now 20-3 all time against the Lions as Harrisburg snapped a three-game losing streak in the series … the Spartan streak of scoring in double figures ended at four as York was held to four runs in the loss … York is now 5-8 at Jaquet Field while they are 5-1-1 on the road … York had just 10 total bases in the game, their lowest total in their last nine games … York committed four errors in the game as they have had three errors or more in eight games this year … York has now allowed 61 unearned runs in 27 games this year, an average of 2.3 unearned runs per game … the Spartans have allowed 25 home runs this year including two in the game on Sunday … York threw a season-high five wild pitches in the loss … York allowed double figures in runs for the 17th time this year … York now has four players who have double digits in doubles as Grant Oberholtzer (14), Christian Bilan (11), Seth Brosius (11), and Jack Barry (10) all have reached double figures … York has 24 more doubles their their opponents (77 to 53).
The Spartans return to action on Tuesday when they travel to Frostburg State University to face the Bobcats in a Capital Athletic Conference contest. First pitch is scheduled for 3:45 pm in Frostburg, Maryland.